Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Day's Not Enough - Mother's Day 2012


Today - the second Sunday in May, this year falling on the 13th - is the one day every year where cards for mothers sell out all over America (I have it on very good authority that mothers are honored on March 8th in Romania, no matter what day it falls on). Walmart and Hallmark get gutted and yet all the cards fall desperately short of saying what you want them to say, don't they? Though I'm sure many women find the attention and appreciation of this day to be more of the same blessings they receive throughout the year, I'm sure there are also many women who experience Mother's Day as a reminder of how things could - and should - be every day. For that reason, writing something for all mothers can be a difficult thing to do. How do you write a catch-all for mothers whose circumstances, personalities, and families are as unique as the individuals who bear the title? Some may think I've put a camera in their home to write what I have, others may resonate with a thought or two, while others feel left out altogether. 


I certainly don't intend to leave out, or alienate, any mother because I am profoundly thankful to all of you for what you do AND who you are.This goes out to all mothers: at ease or struggling, healthy or in pain, single or married, you are all blessed. And even if you don't feel appreciated for all you do, you are by someone somewhere. This is for you:

A Mother’s Honor 

by David Clinkscales
Life’s never been fair, let’s just say that right now,
So to talk about mothers we must relate how
Not another job out there is capable of
Showing all the extent of a mother’s deep love.

From the moment a baby’s conceived there is birth
In the heart of a mother that speaks of the worth
Of the person inside her and nothing compares
To the thoughts she has for it, however she fairs.
Whether boy or girl comes she is dreaming of life
As a mother now, not just best friend or a wife.

There is joy in the changes but she doesn’t know
What is coming ahead or the way life will go.
She was brought up to speed on the changes, I guess
But had no idea life would become such a mess.
There are burp-ups & clean-ups & 1s, 2s, & 3s
That could push a Marine to give up on his knees.
There is crying that makes her consider adoption
When night after night makes it seem like an option.

She hates that she hates when her man gets away
While her “me” times are talking like Elmo all day.
She sings along blankly with all the kid’s shows
She has seen so much she automatically knows.
She is so close to murder on Sesame Street
When her husband comes home & says, “What’s there to eat?”
There is never an end to the work on her plate
So she’d like naps more, maybe, than some dinner date.

And through all of the stresses that pull at her mind
She is sure life is better than what is behind.
Love might have been thought of as theory before,
But now fullness has made it immeas’rably more.
Each day brings new ways to watch her love grow
As she gives of herself more than any could know.
She’s a blessed child of God with an honor her own
And is held up by God when she does it alone.
She is joined by Lord Jesus in loving her child
And His love restores all the Deceiver defiled.

We honor our mothers one day every year
When our focus to love them’s especially clear
But we know that just one day could never suffice
To give thanks they deserve after such sacrifice.
So we hope you’ll forgive us when we don’t admit
In the way that we love, how you’re worthy of it.

We know you’re not perfect, but neither are we,
And as far as moms go, well, you’re perfect for me.
You’ve raised us & loved us & taught us to sing,
Through all joys & disasters, to Jesus the King.
And it’s this reason, more than the others, we are
So grateful for you, Mom - can I borrow the car?
Though this poem was written generally to apply to all mothers, and to be given to the lady's in our church, I wrote it with my own mother and my wife in mind. As you might expect, inspiration and visual cues come to us all from personal thought and experiences, so I wanted to take a moment to share some things about the two phenomenal mothers in my life.

First, my beautiful wife: in addition to being the perfect woman for me and the reason for all I now do in life, she is an amazing mother. Through her mothering of Jace, I've seen things that appear to be magical in nature. She has a way with our son that mystifies me, and I don't think it's simply that she spends more time with him. That helps, sure, but she has a way with him that goes past time spent all the way to soul-knit. It seems like I come home every day and there is something else she has taught Jace - whether it's a word or an action (we're still working on the fist pound) - and that is a bitter-sweet pill to swallow. On the one hand I am so thrilled to see Jace developing this personality - he's a little person! On the other hand, I know he's having these daily "firsts" that I'm missing out on because I have to work outside the home. To be clear, I'm thankful for my work and love what I do, but missing out on these moments Mommy gets to experience daily is hard. I stand in awe of how my bride is almost single-handedly teaching him to be a bilingual, compassionate, giving, and humorous kid! Me and Jace are incredibly blessed to have Rebeca!

Second, my mother has managed to be my biggest fan and encourager for the better part of my life. I remember with fondness our long conversations, long bouts with laughter as we worked on sewing projects (for school, dang it, for school!!), and the times we went riding Ms. Plumb and Doll, her horses. We have long shared a mutual love for animals and writing and her counsel over the years has been invaluable to me. The sad thing is how many priceless memories from my past were lost because, when I was younger and still living under her roof, I so often neglected my time with her and the wisdom she possesses. Now, unfortunately, I see what a blessing she was and it's too late to get those things back. But the blessing of the present and future is that now I can make use of, and treasure, those moments we continue to have.

Speaking of which, since we've got them on Skype right now, I'm going to wrap this up and get back to talking to her. I love you my Bride and my Mom - you are both priceless and irreplaceable!! Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment