Monday, November 21, 2011

Status Pain


Actually a website: visit for an idea of my concern here.
This post has been a long-time coming, but something I think about at least every day. When I scan the Facebook wall to see what "friends" are up to, I see many statuses that are a little confusing to me. They seem to be the equivalent of e-mail spam, personal contact's version of fishing for compliments, and can be at least as damaging or manipulative as either. Very little of the words on this post will be from me, so let's get to the status updates in question and I'll have some closing thoughts/questions at the very end: 
  1. I personally believe in Jesus Christ. One Facebooker has challenged all believers to put this on their wall. The bible says, if you deny Me in front of your peers, I will deny you in front of My Father. This is a simple test. If you are not afraid to show it, re-post this. I proudly did! (: 
  2. Like this status if I've ever made you smile(: repost and see how many likes you get(:
  3. What if I died tomorrow -- would you miss me here?  
  4. Single or not put this as your status & see what you get Inbox only!!!..
    1. ♥ = I want a relationship
    2. :) = I kinda like you
    3. :p = I'm shy.... but your cute
    4. XD = I want your number
    5. :D = you mean everything 
    6. </3 = I regret leaving
  5. Ugh, I feel so ugly today! (posted alongside new profile pic, looking good) 
  6. Truth is...
  7. Repost if you're ending 2011 single. If someone wants to change that they'll send you a ♥.
Disappointment Waiting To Happen

I'll stop here because it's getting depressing to wonder about the emotional health of so many people I know. What are the unintended consequences of posts like these, of turning to "social media" while losing the ability (skill?) to socially engage others in person and build up meaningful relationships? Have we been sold the illusion of cyber-friendship? What if you don't re-post the first (are you denying Jesus?); what if no one likes, responds, re-posts, or affirms your internet-appeal for affirmation? What does that do to your self-worth?

No comments:

Post a Comment